Monday, January 16, 2012

..on finding joy in the little things

Today we woke up to a wet street and a cloudy sky.  I wasn't expecting rain so it was a pleasant surprise that we had gotten some in the night.  I was able to have a little quiet time before I heard "mama", come from the baby monitor.  Selfishly, I waited another minute to see if I could hear that sweet little voice again and sure enough there it was, "mama."  The first of many things that I am thankful for today.

Today is grocery day so we headed off to the grocery store.  I am thankful for a health baby boy who sees anything round and says "ball".   Oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, grapes, melons....anything.  Instead of rushing through the store we took the time to touch, feel, and talk about a naval orange before moving on.  I am thankful for a little boy who happily helped himself to some dried fruit while we walked around Costco.  Thankful that the same little boy played while I unloaded all the groceries and waited patiently for his lunch (something that is quite rare).  For the extra five minutes it took to unload the dishwasher because of this....


One of his all time favorite activities-handing me clean utensils to put away.  So many little things to be thankful for.  Often times I feel burdened and grumpy about things that, in reality, are little blessings.

I realize this blog post has been a little more on the serious side than usual (and than I prefer!)  I want to make sure everyone knows that I am not walking around on a cloud all the time in a blissful haze of thankfulness.  It's just that I am so privileged to stay home, to take care of my child, my husband, and our home.  It's quite a big job and one that God created us for.  I'm just sayin' maybe it's about time I step up to the challenge and be so thankful that I get to do all of these things!  

Here is something to remember whenever things get a little crazy....


 "one thing is necessary..."

No comments:

Post a Comment