Friday, April 1, 2011

...on getting things done

One of my biggest problems since becoming a mom is finding the time to get things done.  Our little buddy sleeps pretty well at night but during the day prefers to take short 30-40 minute naps.  Occasionally he throws a 2-3 hour nap in there but those are few and far between and highly unpredictable.  I have found that when he does take long naps I get really overwhelmed!  I think to myself, "ok, he's asleep...what do I need to get done?"  So what ends up happening?  NOTHING!  I find myself starting about five different projects and finishing none of them.  I remember a few weeks ago I told Adam that Jack had taken a long nap.  Adam said something like, "oh, so you got to get some stuff done, huh?"  My response..you guessed it!  NO!  So here is my new plan...maybe some of you are already doing something like this but if you aren't and are feeling this way, here's what I have been doing this week.  Each day I pick one task to get done around the house.  For example, yesterday my task was to clean the floors (sweep, mop, vacuum.)  Jack went down for a nap so I started working on getting these things done.  By the time I finished Jack was still sleeping so guess what I did.  I got to sew!  I kept on thinking that I needed to do something more productive and I felt guilty for sitting down and sewing but then I thought to myself, hey, the floors are clean and that was my goal for today!  I was so proud!  On monday my goal was to to a general pick up around the house with a focus on cleaning the kitchen.  I was able to get that done, too!  Ah, it's the little things in life, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment