Sunday, July 3, 2011

...on coming home

I seriously had anxiety last night thinking about traveling with a baby by myself.  If you don't know this about me, I kind of have an issue with airport security-it makes me feel very feisty and on edge.  I could already feel my anger rise up when the people in front of me at the ticketing line were forced to move clothes from one suitcase to another because one was too heavy.  I ask you, what does it matter if 1lb of t-shirts are in his suitcase or her suitcase, they are all going on the plane, right?  I suppose they could go in the carry on but oh yeah, that goes on the plane too!  My turn came up and BAM 49lbs!  I'm so thankful that I wasn't over because I don't know what I would have done.  Next we headed off to security where I was praying that they didn't have body scanners-I have never been in one and never will go through one.  Answered prayer, no body scanners.  Then, the man at the security line seemed like a complete stickler.  Like the person who is completely condescending to you coming through the line, "take out everything in your pockets, absolutely everything!  No Shoes!  No Liquids!  I have the power!  Muah ha ha!"  Ok, well maybe not that bad, but you get the picture.  The lady in front of me had to go check her bag because she had oodles of liquids and aerosols, etc.  My turn came around and man, that guy was so nice!  He even said hi to Jack and was super helpful!  Everyone was, for that matter.  I still felt a little frazzled getting through it all but I made it through without a hitch!  Next on the agenda, coffee, then breakfast for me and Jack.  We both ate, I got him a clean diaper, and it was time to board the plane.  We got on the plane and, of course, little man had waited for a clean diaper to poop in so I frantically changed him on the seat next to me before someone came and sat down.  Again, I am so thankful that he pooped before we took off and not after!  I fed him a little on the way up and he passed out asleep for about an hour and a half.  The flight was fairly uneventful.  We switched planes in Phoenix and the only snag was that I left my sweater on board.  Thankfully, I noticed it was missing before I got too far and was able to re board the plane and rescue it!  The flight to Albuquerque went something like this-Jack fell asleep during take off and woke up after we landed.  My Hero.

Overall, flying by myself with a little one was not that bad.  Flying with two little ones?  I can't even imagine.  Kudos to all of you out there who have braved the airplanes with multiple children.  We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  For now, I'm just happy to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment