Wednesday, July 27, 2011

...on snacks

I thought I'd take a minute or two to share with you all what kinds of things I have been snacking on throughout these 30 days.  Many of you know that I love to eat and I am a really big snacker.  When I first started out doing my 30 days I'm pretty sure that I was eating all the time.  Things have kind of tapered off but here are some of my favorite snacky things.

#1.  Sun Butter



I love me some sun butter.  Peanuts are a no no on the paleo diet because they are considered a legume.  So sad, but I have found that sun butter is a pleasant alternative (especially the kind from Trader Joe's!).  It has a similar consistency to peanut butter and the price is right-only 3.99 a jar!  Which is great for us because we go through at least one in a week, sometimes two.  I told you, I like to eat.  *give it a go with a banana or an apple.  You won't regret it!  Or perhaps a little "ants on a log" action-it'll make you feel like a kid again!

#2.  Nuts

Now, I know that nuts are probably not the best snack in the entire world but when you take away all sweets, grain, etc., these are a great alternative.

#3.  Coconut Flakes

Say what!?  I know, now I sound completely granola.  Trust me, I'm not.  I'm just a girl who is trying to eat healthy while maintaining my milk supply for my little one.  Coconut flakes translate into good fat in my diet which translates into milk.  *try a couple of almonds with a couple of coconut flakes.  It's kind of like an almond joy without the chocolate.

#4.  Dark Chocolate

My personal favorites are Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar with almonds and Sunflower Market's Dark chocolate with espresso....so, so tasty!

#5.  Fruit

If your goal in dieting or eating healthy is to lose weight, then I would take it easy on the fruit (because of the sugar).  For me, I don't really care as much about losing weight as I do about trying to be more healthy and I don't particularly enjoy snacking on veggies.  I figure it is better for me to snack on a piece of fruit than on a half dozen cookies.  Know what I mean?

#6.  Coffee

I guess this one doesn't really count as a snack but sometimes I just need a pick-me-up and coffee seems to do just the trick!  I used to be a tried and true Mocha fan-venti for that matter.  Now, I have transitioned over into the land of Americanos!  Espresso diluted with water, and I always add heavy cream just to sweeten the deal.

There you have it!  My two cents on snacking healthy.  I'm sure there are some crazy granola-y health nut paleo people who will read this and think that I have completely missed the boat but that's ok.  Honestly, I am no expert but I'm always looking for new ideas of things to snack on so hopefully this will be helpful to someone out there.  Actually, if anyone has a snack that they love please do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment